Sunshine and Roaring Pandas

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tofu and Gingseng Chicken in Broth

I'm already tired of eating out, even though it has all been my favorite type of food: Korean. One of my goals while I'm in Korea is to learn how to cook more Korean dishes, especially since the ingredients are easily available. Last night, I was hungry but all I had in the fridge were vegetable side dishes. For protein, I made tofu. It's a simple side dish my mom makes frequently (probably every Korean person knows how to make it), but I had never tried.

The tofu had dots that were perfect for helping me make even pieces.

The sauce: garlic, soy sauce, green onion, sesami oil, honey, dried red pepper flakes.

Fried tofu.

I think its called 'dubu buchim yangnyumjang' in Korean. I'm going to call it 'dubu' because it means tofu (두부). It was juicy yumminess sprinkled with roasted sesame seeds.

I've been craving chicken lately because I've been eating tons of pork since I've been here. I don't like a lot of pork, but usually I don't have a choice as a lot of Koreans consider beef to be too expensive. Tonight, I made a ginseng chicken in broth. It's called 'samgye-tang' in Korean (삼계탕). 'Tang' means  soup.

The soup was really easy to make. The recipe I used didn't have potatoes, but I love potatoes so I tried it out and it was delicious.

This is the best colander I've ever used! The size adjusts and apparently I can also use it to steam things because it has high stilt-like legs.

It was savory and delicious; I wish I had used more ginseng though. I wasn't sure how strong the root would be since I've never used it in cooking before. 

Dessert was Oreos. Lol.