Sunshine and Roaring Pandas

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Kimchi and Kkaennip

I made kimchi and kkaennip today. I'm especially happy with the kkaennip because it was the first time I made it. My halmuni (grandmother) used to make it alllll the time, but it's difficult to find perilla leaves in American grocery stores. And when I'm near Korean grocery stores it's easier to buy it already made. 

I used almost all of the same ingredients to make the kkaennip and the kimchi, except for the ginger.

My secret ingredient to kimchi is the Asian pear. I love the sweet flavor in contrast with lots of the spicy red pepper.

Here's the red pepper paste before I mix it in with the cabbage.

Ole, kimchi!

Here's the red pepper paste for the kkaennip. The recipe said add honey which I was surprised to read.

Kkaennip!
Now I'm so hungry and ready to eat a late dinner.