Sunshine and Roaring Pandas

Sunday, September 25, 2011

The camera is out of order

My camera is out of order. I can't see what I'm taking because the backlight of the viewfinder doesn't light up anymore. Thank goodness Koreans love to fix their electronics (instead of disposing of hardware as Americans often do) because I am not trying to buy a new camera. I got this camera 3 years ago and it still works lovely. I plan to go to Yongsan, the electronics market in Seoul, to see if I can get a cheap repair.

I took a couple of photos today despite not being able to see what I was doing...

I attended a workshop for my school in Incheon today (on a Saturday 0_o). Incheon is supposed to be the up and coming business district of Korea. There is a lot of fancy new construction going on, including this towering building.

After several delays and getting confused making a transfer on the subway, I was able to meet up with Jihye for dinner. We were supposed to catch a drum festival but that didn't work out, darn my job's workshop. I got a very fulfilling dinner though in good company. 

One of my stepfather's favorite dishes and one I have to agree is delicious is the one on the right, soondubu jjigae (순두부 찌개). I tried making it a long time ago with little success. On the left is the burnt rice dish that I LOVE called nooroongji (누룽지). I might try to make both dishes later this week. 

After dinner, Jihye showed me to Insadong, which is just a short walk from the soondubu restaurant in the Jongak area. Insadong is a known touristy spot of Seoul because it has traditional Korean items for sale. I browsed a bit, saw some really interesting things, and purchased some postcards. (Keep an eye out for something in your mailbox in the next couple of weeks.) 

I finally got to see my First soju tent (basically a plastic tent/tarp structure that covers a small number of people getting drunk and sitting on plastic furniture...a temporary bar of a sort). I've been hankering to see one after all the Korean dramas I've watched...that orange thing in the back is it. LOL. Jihye thought it was funny I was so interested in taking a picture of such a commonplace thing. I wonder if Korea requires liquor licenses...

I also bought a handmade, mini-wood Othello game in Insadong! I am soooooooo happy about this purchase. Best thing I've bought in Korea so far. My pieces are dark blue and orange, which is an interesting difference from the traditional white and black. I taught Jihye all the tricks and strategies I know, and we giggled away as we had fun playing. I can't wait to play this with EVERYONE haha.
Today was a good day, tomorrow...Yongsan for camera fix, some Korean-English language exchange, and fried chicken. :)