Sunshine and Roaring Pandas

Sunday, August 21, 2011

63 Building, Big 3 Deal

Made 2 new friends and enjoyed 3 attractions in the famous 63 Building in Seoul (yes, it has 63 floors) on Saturday. I took many photos, here are most of them. Sorry if it takes awhile to load.

Rogelio, myself, Daniesha, Ademir

63 Building, Seoul

That's the Han River and the park that parallels the river.

A view of Seoul and the Han River from the top of the 63 Building.

Sky Art Gallery, the highest art gallery in the world, located on the 60th floor of 63 Building.

This exhibit is called Faces or 'ulgool' in Korean.

They had faces of all types, from different artists, and using different media. This one is a HUGE print, I was very impressed by the largeness and variety of prints.

Interesting.

No face, but I like the simple lines.

Loved this one, there was a whole series of this chica and her cigarette.

This artist used all kinds of color and media on these robotic, cyborg girls that had no character, color, or defining features.

But they are smiling...something about disguises, camouflage, public versus private images, self-image, ego.

The cyborg girls in costume.

This was one of my favorites. The colors!!!!

Fantastical.

I liked the color combination in this one, it's another of my favorites. I'm feeling even more inspired to find an art supply store soon.

I know the girl is Asian but she reminds me of Nicki Minaj in her presentation of herself.

There was an elevated room full of mirrors and reflective surfaces. It was a little overwhelming but cool.

My color science: Mango Lhassi yellow always makes me smile. Plus the drawing is lovely.

We watched an excellent 3-D IMAX movie about Tahiti. I'm generally not impressed by 3-D movies (except for Avatar), but this one was so good I now feel the need to go to Tahiti. 

After IMAX, we went to Seaworld (an aquarium on the first basement floor of the building). Here is an x-ray image of seahorses.

Not the best picture, but it's a bat fish!

Real seahorses; this aquarium had adorable-themed tanks.

Rock fish, don't see them? Look below.

Yup, that thing in the corner is the fish. Amazing camouflage!

My camera doesn't work well in dark settings, so this is the clearest photo I got in the aquarium. Isn't it amazing?? Haha

Love birds.

I don't remember the name of this fish, but they were transparent. We were all impressed.

Happy at the aquarium.

Usually frogs at the aquarium or zoo are brightly colored (and poisonous), these frogs looked dead. Maybe they're  a species of albino frogs.

You could put your fingers in a small tank full of Doctor Fish! They nibble at your fingers and it tickles. At first it freaked me out, but then I enjoyed it. Doctor fish eat dead skin (they're herbivores in their natural setting) and are used for people with certain skin conditions and in some specialty spas. I love hands on exhibits!

I always enjoy looking at octopi; they're one of the most visually interesting sea creatures.

Underwater ballet show...with the fish swimming right by unconcerned. Entertaining.

The dancer was doing moves that vaguely resembled ballet (I'm no ballet expert), but I was more dazzled that she didn't have a breathing apparatus!

Public art on the pillars holding up a large bridge over the Han River. It looked like tiles of African-inspired masks and designs. I love all the public art in Korea. The colors on these tiles are nice.

We saw a lot of people setting off small fireworks next to the river. Looked like fun.

For my next visit to the 63 Building, the plan is to see the B-Boy performance (what Koreans call break dancing) and set off fireworks. I can't wait, I had such a good time on Saturday. I also took some video I will try to make a small clip of soon. Later gators!