Sunshine and Roaring Pandas

Thursday, April 29, 2010

The unspeakable: bowel movements and farting

I have stomach issues. Not to gross anyone out, but it’s a fact of my life that I deal with regularly. But, what makes my stomach issues tolerable is humor. Please watch this hilarious and informative blog post from a North American blogger in Korea and the embedded video explains me and my sense of humor.

I sent a link to this blog post to my cousin and she almost got in trouble because she checked it during class and began to laugh out loud during a lecture. Growing up in a family that consistently talks about pooping, farting, diarrhea, etc., nothing was taboo in terms of intestinal issues. We have no problem doing this right at the dinner table. I never realized how much of this family characteristic could be attributed to my family’s Korean culture until I read this blog post nor how much it made Americans uncomfortable. I now recognize almost every Korean drama I’ve watched has at least one poop or farting scene (which cracks me up every time).

My favorite postcard from Postsecret.com
 
I also sent the link to my best friend who “gets me” (my favorite gift from her is a personalized copy of the kid’s book Everybody Poops). We discussed the post. I made the point that EVERYBODY POOPS. Seriously, get over it people. Plus it’s funny! She countered that America’s was built on a foundation of Puritan principles. Moreover, every culture has its favorite conversational topics and disliked topics. Her example was how frank Puerto Ricans are about sex versus how reserved Koreans are about the same subject. So…I guess she’s right, the blog post is right, and now I am going to try my best to cut it out of my conversations. I must thank my friends who have put up with this idiosyncrasy of mine for years. If I have made anyone uncomfortable with my talk about my bowel movements, possible tape worms, farting, etc., I sincerely apologize (really I do).

My friend did ask me if other Asian cultures treat poop the same way. I didn’t have an answer for her, but I am curious to know if “poop is cute” anywhere other than Korea…? Anyone come from another culture that also takes such common bodily functions in stride? (Because maybe that’s where I need to move, ha ha.)